Refer to the above subject matter.
You are aware that the next budget process has already begun and therefore the need for the secretariat to begin compiling the proposal from the various members and sectors. These process entails submission from the various members and include both national and regional issues.
As has always been the case, various sector meetings will be held to harmonize positions where need arises.
The purpose of this communication therefore is to request you as a key stakeholder to submit your budget proposal based on the template in the link below not later than close of business on Friday, 28th October, 2016 to enable consolidation and fixing of the sector meeting as well as begin engaging the various Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
Furthermore, this is also to request you to submit your installed Capacity vs. Operational capacity as a follow up on both the Buy Uganda Build Uganda Policy implementation plan and Local Content management under PPDA.
NB: 1. Submission to Government and the regional bodies is by next week.
Please also make your contribution towards the on-going Common External Tariff (CET) Review process. The areas of focus are;
- Review of the current three bands structure to provide for SMEs protection (Four Band Structure);
- Populating of the bands with specific items HS Codes that cover all categories of manufacturing in Uganda (Tariff HS Code Matrix);
- Review of Exemption Regimes so that they do not distort trade in EAC;
- Review of Duty Remission Scheme;
- Review of Rwanda and Burundi Lists;
- Establishment of specific duties for sectors where CET has not been effective in providing a level playing field;
- Review of the EAC Customs Management Act and
- Review of EAC Investment Promotion Schemes to ensure that such schemes do not distort trade.
Awaiting your quickest response.
Sebaggala M. Kigozi
Uganda Manufacturers Association