Position: Executive Director (I)
Reporting to: Board of Directors, UMA
Duty station: UMA Show Grounds, Lugogo, Kampala, Uganda
Major purpose of the position: To provide leadership of the UMA Secretariat Team in
execution of the mandate of UMA that entails acting as the watch dog and an effective mouth
piece for all matters related to manufacturing through initiation of discussions and exchange of
information among UMA Members on issues affecting industrialists and in so doing be able to
advise Government of Uganda on key policies affecting manufacturing in Uganda.
Major Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- To provide leadership to the UMA Secretariat Team as Chief Executive Officer
charged with overseeing the management of all the affairs of UMA under the
supervision of the Board of Directors.
- To lead the UMA Secretariat Team in all activities of UMA geared at ensuring that UMA remains the watch dog and an effective mouth piece for all
matters related to manufacturing through initiation of discussions and exchange of
information among UMA Members on issues affecting industrialists and in so doing
be able to advise the Government of Uganda on key policies affecting manufacturing in
Uganda, from time to time;
- To manage and administer the activities, programs, trade and health fairs,
networking activities, internships of UMA in a manner that promotes the interest of
the Association from time to time, including availing accountability to the Board.
- To manage the UMA Secretariat physical infrastructure and human resources in a
manner that promotes the ideals of the Association including doing so as guided by
Policies and or oversight availed by the Board of Directors or UMA Advisory
- To periodically up-date the Board of Directors of UMA about the activities of UMA.
In this context, monthly Departmental Reports shall be generated by the respective
Departments to feed into the activity briefs meant for the Board of Directors.
- To assist the Board of Directors of UMA in generating and implementing a Four
Years Strategic Plan for UMA (2017-2021) that is well aligned to the National Vision
2040 and the Five Year National Development Plans therein.
- To locate, establish, maintain and promote strategic collaborations with
Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, Donor Agencies, Multilateral
Organizations, Advocacy Groups, Private Sector bodies, Diplomatic Missions with
the view to promoting manufacturing in Uganda.
- To undertake any delegated responsibilities that may from time to time be assigned
by the UMA Board of Directors/Advisory Council from time to time.
Desired qualifications, skills, experience, attributes and competencies:
- Possession of at least a University Degree in Economics, Business Administration and
Management, Law, Production Engineering, or Statistics. A Masters degree or any other post graduate qualifications in related areas of professional specialization may be of added advantage;
- Demonstrated understanding of the private sector in Uganda and the UMA
activities and programs for a period of at least five years;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Trade Policy issues that affect business and manufacturing
in particular at a local, regional and international level for at least five years;
- Desired candidate should have a strong understanding of Uganda's Economy and the
trading regimes that Uganda is associated with in so far as such trading regimes impact
on manufacturing in Uganda.
- Ideal candidate should have a Private sector employment background and proof of
having served at a senior strategic decision taking level in credible private/public sector
enterprises preferably involved in manufacturing or related to manufacturing for a
period of at least five year;
- The candidate should be industrious, level-headed, flexible, a good team player with
excellent inter personal relations, ready to work under minimal supervision and
committed to achieving set and agreed to tasks.
- Strong and demonstrated oral and written communication capacity, noting that the
vacancy at hand demands extensive internal and external engagements with various
stakeholders in private and public sectors from time to time;
- Must have good knowledge in computer applications like MS Office.
- Possession of good and demonstrated managerial skills and competencies that are key
for the huge administrative responsibility that is attached to being the Chief Executive
Officer of UMA.
- Should be Ugandan by nationality aged preferably between 40-55 years of age.
Terms of Employment:
The appointment is strictly on contract, valid for a period of five (5) years renewable once on
Benefits and remuneration:
Attractive and negotiable for the deserving candidate.
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should submit their application letters not exceeding three pages
demonstrating their suitability for appointment to the position.
Candidates should present a detailed Resume complete with experience certificates/letters that
attest to the Professional achievements attained. All applications should be addressed to the Chairman, Board of Directors P.O. Box 6966, Kampala, Lugogo and delivered to the
secretariat, , within seven days from the date of the advert: